Meaning Of 4 Rings In Audi Logo
Do you often wonder how brands choose a logo? How do they come up with an innocuous representational image for their brand that highlights their aim? Well, logos hold deep meanings. They are well-thought out and well-researched. The Audi symbol, for example, has more meaning that merely being similar to the Olympic rings.
The 4 rings in the brand logo represent an interesting story that many of you might not know. The four rings indicate the four car makers who came together to build what we know as ‘Audi’.
Audi AG, one of the best car manufacturers in the world today, was launched way back in 1885. It was during this time that the Wanderer Company was established which ultimately became a branch of Audi AG. Later, in 1899, a gentleman named August Horch founded a company called ‘A. Horch & Cie.’, which was the starting point of the the Audi company. Continue reading to learn more about the Audi logo, history timeline and current models in production.
The company was established in the Ehrenfeld district of Cologne, where August Horch made his first car. The company moved to Reichenbach in 1902 and two years later, he established a joint stock company in Zwickau called the ‘August Horch & Cie. Motorwagenwerke AG’. In 1909, he founded his second company, the August Horch Automobilwerke GmbH.
However, soon after, he was sued by his former partners for trademark infringement and was forced to remove the ‘Horch’ from his company name. It was during this time that he called a meeting with his close business friends from Zwickau to discuss the name of the company. In 1910, finally Horch decided to change the company’s name to Audiwerke GmbH.
That same year, Horch introduced the Audi Type A, which immediately became popular. Soon after, Audi began participating in races and won for three years straight in the International Austrian Alpine Run. The Alpine Challenge Trophy was presented to Audi drivers in 1914. Therefore, this marked the beginning of the history of Audi, a company hungry for success.
In 1928, many of the Audiwerke AG shares were acquired by Jorgen Rasmussen. That same year, he also purchased the remaining shares of the famous US Company, Rickenbacker. This decision also gave Rasmussen the rights to Rickenbacker’s manufacturing equipment for eight-cylinder engines. In 1929, these engines were installed in the Audi Dresden and Audi Zwickau models.
In 1932, Audi merged with Wanderer, Horch, and DKW to from the Auto Union AG and this led to the creation of Audi’s four rings logo (picture above). The same year, Audi introduced the world’s first volume-built car with front-wheel-drive. By the end of the 30s, Audi began participating in Grand Prix races, established a new office in Chemnitz, introduced its first 16-cylinder racing car, and began conducting systematic rollover and crash tests.
In 1941, Audi shifted its attention to manufacturing military vehicles due to the impending war. Soon enough, the car manufacturer became an incredibly popular supplier of vehicles in the mid 40s. Like many German manufacturers, Auto Union plants became a target for allied bombing during the Second World War.
Therefore, in 1945, the US Army raid caused great damage to Audi’s plant and a few years later Auto Union AG was removed from the commercial register. However, Audi didn’t give up and began assembling pre-war models in 1949. Additionally, the company was renamed to Auto Union GmbH and continued DKW’s tradition of manufacturing front-wheel drive cars with two-stroke engines.